Friday 29 June 2012

HELPING TEACHER IN THE HERB GARDEN







The girls and boys from my class volunteered to help clean the Herb Garden yesterday morning.  They had earlier done a reading comprehension exercise with me in class for more than an hour.  For the last 20 minutes, all of them trooped down to the garden to help do the weeding, pruning and raking.
Besides the motive of sprucing up the Herb Garden, I also had another ulterior one, that is to gain more merits so as to transfer them to my late mother.
"Lord Buddha says that the greatest gift one can confer on one's dead ancestors is to perform 'acts of merit' and to transfer these merits so acquired. He also says that those who give also receive the fruits of their deeds."
I read in a Buddhist website that Tharavapunna or Everlasting Charity would hold a lot of weight.

Below is a list of charities whose merit lasts forever.
(1) Setting up gardens and orchards for public use
(2) Planting shady trees and fruit trees for public use
(3) Building roads and bridges for public use
(4) Providing drinking water at the wayside
(5) Constructing wells, tanks and ditches as means of public water supply
(6) Donation of monastic dwellings, etc.

To me I can carry out the first and second good deeds within the 49 days of my mum's demise in order to transfer the merits to her.  That is why I am working so hard to make sure the Herb Garden will be improved so that everyone will get to enjoy its beauty.  I also intend to plant a few fruit trees for public use.  It is the least I could do to honour my mum.

No comments: