Tuesday 8 November 2011

TRADITIONAL MALAY CURE USING CIKU (SAPODILLA FRUIT)






My mum and sister, Li Mei, cannot stand the taste of the Chiku fruit. On the other hand, my late father and I love it. When I was much younger, I only thought of the fruit as something to eat. However, now that I am older and much wiser, I have found more uses for the chiku and also its leaves. I use the leaves as an ingredient for a herbal bath to help circulation and expel wind from the body. In traditional Malay medicine, the ciku is used as a cure for blood in stool hematochezia) or rectal bleeding.  What one needs to eat an unripe chiku fruit that has been pounded until it becomes a paste, then added with warm water and a bit of salt.   If possible, the patient needs to eat this concoction before breakfast for a few days.  

No comments: