Thursday 31 March 2011

MY NUMBER ONE FEAR


My mother suddenly became ill last Sunday afternoon.  She started to sweat and feel weak all over.  At the same time she said that she was having sharp pains on her back.
That got me worried and I drove her to consult Dr Bashir, our family doctor.  According to the dear doctor, all my mum had was a mild throat infection but she kept insisting that she was having a heart attack or something serious.  She even requested for an injection.  When he heard that, he joked that even his toes were laughing.  She did not have a temperature and her blood pressure was normal.  As he has been treating her for years, he guessed that something must have upset her to make her feel depressed so suddenly.  Both Doctor Bashir, my Aunt Linda and I felt that it was because she heard the news of the death of my brother-in-law's nephew.  My mum gets upset quickly when she hears such news.  That is why my sister Li Lian and I never tell her whatever troubles, misfortunes and bad things that happen to us. 
I dare not think how she would react if I she finds out about my problem with the housing developer.  She would really freak out for my safety and then worry herself until she becomes very sick.  For me, my number one fear is my mother falling sick and becoming depressed.  She went into depression when my dad died and it took my family at least a year to nurse her back to health.  She again became depressed when she found out that my sister Li Mei had some problems and it took my Aunt Linda and I a few months to get her back to her normal self.  Also, she gets extremely edgy come the Qing Ming period and keeps dreaming about the dearly departed souls. 
To me, my mother becoming depressed is more fearful than all the monsters, ghosts and ogres combined together.  Yeah!  Hasnin and Kamariah have seen my mum in her depressed state and they can bear witness to what a total wreck she becomes.  Even an invasion of the earth by aliens is not so frightful.

No comments: