Sunday 27 February 2011

CAN BUY SHOES NOW




I refrained from buying shoes on the first fifteen days of the Chinese New Year because it is considered taboo to do so.  Why?  According to my late aunt, the Cantonese word for shoes is "Hai" which is similar in sound to sigh.  So if we buy shoes during the first few days of the year, then we might end up with lots of unhappy events throughout the year which might cause us to sigh.  My aunt told this to me when I was a little girl and it has sort of become a taboo for me. 
As the celebrations are over, I can now safely buy new shoes.  I bought two pairs of sandals from the market this morning.  They were very cheap - RM8.00 per pair. I bought the gold and copper sandals.  They were so cheap because the shoemakers were the ones selling the shoes.

No comments: