Friday 3 December 2010

SIGNIFICANCE OF RED CLOGS






It is hard to come by painted clogs like the ones shown above.  What we have are the ordinary ones which cost around RM4 with the plastic strip and the wooden part.  I like the painted ones with the flowery designs as they look so pretty.  Unfortunately, the clog maker was not around on the day I was at the Perak Lost Living Exhition and so I missed out on buying myself a pair.
Every year I would buy a pair of red clogs before Chinese New Year. Actually any other colour of clogs would do but I prefer the red ones as they are ultra auspicious.  I would place them at the foot of my bed on Chinese New Year eve and wear them the moment I get up on the first day of Chinese New Year.  This ritual is supposed to help get rid of the "Small People" (Troublemakers) who might happen to cross my path for the coming year.  The clack clackity sound of the clogs is supposed to scare off the troublemakers and by wearing them around the house would signify stepping on them so that they wouldn't dare cause any mischief.

No comments: