Friday 24 September 2010

SOMETHING OF SENTIMENTAL VALUE

The surface of the table that you see above has seen better days.  The blisters were caused by putting cups of hot water on the surface without using a coaster.   I am moving house and was contemplating whether or not to bring the table with me to the new house.
I thought for some time and decided that I wanted to keep the table as it has sentimental value for me.  You see, when I was first posted to my present school, I did not have much money and so used minimal furniture.  When my Aunt Linda and Aunt May came to stay with me, they said that it should be proper that a house has a table.  It is because of their pestering that I bought the table above in 1996.  The table has served me for 14 years and though it may be a bit worn and tattered but it a part of my history.
I decided to recycle the table by using an old towel and some curtain fabric.
First I used an old towel, to place over the blistered surface.  This would even out the blisters.
Like my table, the towel was also well-worn.  If I had not used it to cover the surface of the table, I would have cut it into smaller pieces to be used as table cloth.

No comments: