I saw this kuih or snack being sold at the Farmer's Market last Saturday. It was sold at RM2 for 100 grammes. The trader told me that it was made from keledek or sweet potato. It is sugar coated fried strips of sweet potato fashioned into balls, cubes and other shapes.
Recipe for Cakar Ayam Keledek
1 kg sweet potatoes
1 kg brown sugar
1 kg cooking oil
A bit of water
A bit of salt
- The sweet potato is peeled and washed.
- Use a scraper to finely scrape the sweet potato. Then place aside.
- Mix the brown sugar with a bit of water and salt.
- Cook until thick. Then place aside.
- Heat the cooking oil in a wok.
- Then fry the scraped sweet potato until crispy.
- Remove from wok and drain the oil.
- Put the sweet potato into the brown sugar that has been mixed with salt and water. Cook over a slow fire.
- Make sure the sweet potato is evenly mixed with the sugar.
- When it is still hot, press the sweet potatoes into a mould. Do this until all the sweet potatoes are used up.
- When cool keep in an airtight container.