Thursday 24 June 2010

A DAY IN THE LIFE OF MISS CHEAH

A few of the visitors who left comments in the Xing Fu blog were rather surprised to find a teacher blogging. Actually there are many teachers who are bloggers, in my school there are quite a number of my colleagues who have blogs. In my school, I am an English Language teacher and also the Media Teacher as well as the Supervisor of the Resource Centre.
In the below pictures, you will get an idea of a day in the life of Miss Cheah.
7.35 a.m. to 8.35 a.m.:
Discussion with the Head of English Department, Tuan Haji Hasnin on the activities for English Language Week.
8.50 a.m. to 9.15 a.m.
I went to PKG Sitiawan to have a discussion with Puan Zuraidah Mohd Shafie, the Technology Education Officer there. As I will be giving a talk on Public Speaking to the nominees for Tokoh NILAM, I wanted to finalise details about the talk with her.
9.15 a.m. to 10.00 a.m.:
Choosing and buying a plant at the Thursday Market for the launching ceremony of Cooperative Week tomorrow morning.
My two colleagues and I were actually going to send our student to his training site for the Industrial Training Programme for Form Four Skill Training Students. The programme started on Monday but the place he was assigned was closed for a few days. Today will be his first day. The shop only opens at 10.00 a.m.
10.10 a.m. to 10.40 a.m.
Handing over our two students to the owner of the electrical shop where they will be doing their practical training for a month. The other boy went on his own to the shop by motorbike as he is not a boarder in the school hostel. I do not have a class to teach today as my Form 4 SKM students are out on practical training. Instead my two colleagues and I are going to the work sites to check on the wellbeing of our students.
10.50 a.m. to 11.30 a.m.
Visiting a sick student who could not go for her apprenticeship training at her home. We talked with her mother to get an update on her condition and also to see when the girl would be fit to attend school.
11.45 p.m. to 12.30 p.m.
Supervising a few of my boys at the Herb Garden. Actually they had some free time and volunteered to help me to do some weeding and replanting.
1.10 p.m. to 1.45 p.m.
Puan Nor Amlina and I visited the shop where two of our boys are learning how to install, service and repair air conditioners and other electrical appliances.
2.00 p.m. - 2.30 p.m.
Getting my boys to update the result sheet for the FIFA World Cup Exhibition. I also had a discussion with them to organise a contest for the World Cup Finals. The contest starts tomorrow.
2.30 p.m. to 3.00 p.m.
Managed to get some time to load the photographs I have taken for today into my laptop.  I will be publishing them in the school blog when I get home tonight.  Here is the address for my school blog:  http://vokasmatoday.blogspot.com/
3.00 p.m. to 3.30 p.m.
On counter duty at the library as my assistant had to attend a staff meeting from 3.00 p.m. to 4.30 p.m.
3.40 p.m.to 4.20 p.m.
When the librarians came to be on duty at the counter at 3.30 p.m., I took the opportunity to do some gardening in the Herb Garden for half an hour. As I had been busy with other work, the plants looked a bit neglected and so I will have to do some damage control.
4.30 p.m. to 5.00 p.m.
I handed over the Pedilanthus plant which will be used for the Launching Ceremony to a Committee member of the School Cooperative. However, he was busy training the choir for the launching and requested that I help send it to the teacher in charge of the planting ceremony.
5.10 p.m.
After I passed the Pedilanthus plant to the teacher in charge at the Teacher's Quarters, I went to the Sepak Takraw Court to take pictures of the big screen which has been set up so that our boys will get to enjoy some of the Live World Cup matches in the evening.
I found out about it when I was giving an extra class to my students last night. At 10.15 p.m., they asked permission to leave as they wanted to watch the match between England and Slovenia. After my class ended at 10.30 p.m., I too went to have a looksee and take some photos but the photos did not turn out as it was too dark and so I decided to take a picture of the screen this evening.
I finally left school at 5.50 p.m. and went for an early dinner at MacDonalds. Reached home at around 6.20 p.m.
And so this is a day in the life of Miss Cheah. This is a normal day for me. I have so many things to keep me interested and energised that there is actually no such thing as falling asleep or even feeling sleepy.

No comments: