Monday 10 May 2010

SOMETHING YOU NEVER KNEW ABOUT WONG FEI HUNG

A picture of the real Wong Fei Hong taken at the Wong family residence (now a museum) in Foshan, Guangdong province.

I am sure that many would be acquainted with Kungfu Master Wong Fei Hung who has been immortalised in numerous television series and films.  The most famous actor to portray him is Chinese action superstar, Jet Li. 
Master Wong Fei Hung (黃飛鴻) (1847–1924) really existed and is not a work of fiction.  He was a martial artist, a traditional Chinese medicine physician, acupuncturist and revolutionary.  His expertise was the Hung Gar style of Chinese martial arts.
Well, did you know that Wong Fei Hung was a Muslim.  Wong's Islamic name was Faisal Hussein Wong. He was actually born into a Muslim family. I got this information from the ustaz in my school who was very eager to share it with me early this morning. He even printed the article for me to read.
I did a check in the Internet and found information to prove what the Ustaz told me. According to a site I visited, Wong's Muslim identity was kept secret as a result of the deislamisation resultant from the Manchu Qing Dynasty anti-Islamic policy as well as the Nationalist regime's attempt to destroy Islam in China.
References:
http://www.asiawind.com/forums/read.php?f=2&i=2366&t=2335

2 comments:

mFaiz said...

wow...interesting info!!
TQ

4 ™ said...

I'm afraid it's a hoax, Wong Fei Hung wasn't a Muslim.

http://parahyangan.wordpress.com/2010/05/05/hoax-wong-fei-hung-seorang-muslim-adalah-hoax/

http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57586