Monday 20 July 2009

SEEN HOCK YEEN TEMPLE IN CHEMOR

Statues of the 12 animals of the Chinese zodiac calendar
Facing the entrance of the temple is an image of Sun Tzu, author of the Art of War.

Sculptures of dragons greet visitors and worshippers to the Jade Emperor Hall The magnificent temple with a pagoda, carp in ponds, images of dragons and lions, calligraphic couplets and crafted buildings.
The 70-metre long bridge where worshippers cross to dispel calamities and to have problems dissolved. One should only look to the right and not the left as it is not auspicious to do so.
Another view of the main temple
My mum posing near one of the pillars
My Aunt near the wishing area

Statues that will be placed in the near section which is under construction
My mum and aunt posing next to one of a pair of golden lions
Mazu the Chinese Goddess of the Sea also known as Tin Hau or the Empress of Heaven.

The old block of the temple where my family and I went to pray for good luck and good health
I got to know about this majestic temple after I read Friday's Star newspaper. After I looked at the pictures that were featured in the Metro section, I just had to see the place for myself. So on Sunday I drove my mum, my Aunt Linda and Aunt May to Chemor to look for the temple.

When we reached the place, we were really impressed as it was as impressible as what was shown in the picture. We were told to offer prayers to the Jade Emperor in the main temple which I guess was the original site since the building was built in 1980.

The Chinese wordings for See Hock Yeen literally means temple of virtues and education. The premise is located on 1.2ha of former tin mining land. It has Taoism, Buddhism and Confucian characteristics and is taken care of by volunteers from Chemor and the surrounding villages. Actually there was one of the volunteers, a lady from Kuala Lumpur who would drive down to help out every Sunday.
From the newspaper article, I found out that the temple was first set up in a small rented premises in Chemor in the early 1970s. Its existence came about when 4-digit lottery punters found a sword inside a cave in Chemor while seeking numbers through a medium. However, the medium who was in a trance said the cave belonged to Confucius and advised them to set up a temple to help the people overcome misery and problems instead. In 1977 the temple was moved to its present site and expanded through donations.

No comments: