Saturday 27 June 2009

WU LOU DURIAN

Last week I bought a durian from a vendor who told me that he sourced his durians from Balik Pulau in Penang Island. I thought that since he went around the orchards to get his durians, he might know where they plant Wu Lou or Calabash as I wish to buy some.
Well he very happily said that the Wu Lou were not ready for harvest yet but he might have some in a couple of weeks. Happily I told him that I would order some from him. Then he mentioned that the Wu Lou could be picked by next week and I could get them. Picked??? I asked him why picked, shouldn't they be plucked since they might break. It was only then did I realise that there is a species of durian called Wu Lou.

Here is some information about the Water Gourd Durian to share with you here:

The flesh of the Hor Loh or Wu Lou is very soft, dry and quite bitter. It has a sharp smell to it. Hor Loh was first cultivated at the Brown orchard of Sungai Ara. It got its name from its appearance resembling a "Hor Lor" pumpkin. If the durian hits the ground hard when it falls, the flesh tends to be bitter thereafter.
http://www.asiaexplorers.com/malaysia/penang_durian.htm

No comments: