Monday 23 March 2009

FACE CHANGER

For the first time ever, I got to watch a Chinese Face Changer 變臉from Sichuan, China strut his stuff live last Saturday. It was during one of the programmes for the Kiwanis Carnival.

Biàn Liǎn which literally means"Face-Changing" is an ancient Chinese dramatic art that is part of the more general Sichuan opera. Performers wear brightly coloured costumes and move to quick, dramatic music. The performers also wear vividly coloured masks, which they change within a fraction of a second.

I managed to videotape the performance. Here is part of the performance. I had to edit away certain parts as there were people blocking my view in some instances and also people shoving me thus making my hand holding the recorder unsteady.

Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bian_Lian

No comments: