Wednesday 1 October 2008

TODAY IS WORLD VEGETARIAN DAY

Laksa with fish can be eaten by pescetarians

I am a pescetarian. Huh? A what? Let me repeat, I am a pescetarian which means I am person whose diet is a combination of vegetables, fruit, nuts, beans and fish or invertebrate seafood. I do not eat mammals or birds but eat eggs and dairy products like milk, cheese and butter.

I have been eating like this since young. My mum tells me that when I was a toddler, whatever meat products that she fed me would be vomited out or that I just simply refused to open my mouth to eat them. I'd rather eat plain rice added with some lukewarm water and light soy sauce. However, my elders did not stop trying to make me eat meat but in the end I won the battle and they had to prepare food that I wanted to eat. Unlike other children who do not like to eat vegetables, I survived on them. To my parents' relief, eggs, other dairy products and seafood were also liked by me. Therefore, I am a natural born pescetarian and not one by choice.

I have been blogging about me going on a vegetarian diet because of the 9-Emperor Gods Festival and am into the third day. What a coincidence that today, October 1, happens to be the annual World Vegetarian Day. It is a day established by the North American Vegetarian Society in 1977, "To promote the joy, compassion and life-enhancing possibilities of vegetarianism."

References:

No comments: