Friday 29 August 2008

TAM BOON



When I went to the market at Kampung Simee in Ipoh last Sunday, I saw a Thai monk begging for food there. It is quite common to see these monks when I go marketing with my mum during the weekends as there is a Siamese temple near my house.
Being a monk requires much discipline and sacrifice. The average day in a monk's life is full of prayers. They lead a simple life style that usually begins with the ritualistic begging on the roads or near public places. This is known as 'Tam boon', where people donate food to them which is a sort of good deed of the day.
I would usually buy some kuih and give it to the monk (as I did this morning). We are not supposed to give them meat as they are on a vegetarian diet. I noticed that some people place money in the basket that he was holding. I think that he would take the money back to the temple and place it in the donation box when he returns there. Why? Because monks are not supposed to have money. That's why.

No comments: