Tuesday 12 August 2008

POOJA CEREMONY FOR SHARVEEN'S FAMILY










My student, Sharveen, invited me to attend the Pooja ceremony that his family was having tonight but I had to decline as I needed to take a rest. Remember, I got a stiff neck from falling asleep on the computer table. His family is having the Pooja Ceremony as Thanksgiving to the Goddess Mariammah. It seems that some time back both Sharveen's parents were ill and so his paternal grandma made a vow at the temple for their speedy recovery and since both are fine hence the pooja ceremony today. About 50 guests were invited.

However, I managed to go with Sharveen to the Mariammah Temple near The Store in Sitiawan to have a look-see when I sent him home after school. I met his grandma, aunt and cousin brother who had gone there to finalise some details. When I went inside the temple, I noticed that some of the food for the Pooja ceremony had already been prepared. Sharveen took time to explain some of the religious practices to me and also introduce me to the Hindu deities who were worshipped in the temple.

No comments: