Monday 11 August 2008

THE ACT OF GIVING



Today the principal of my school, Puan Siti Arfah celebrated her 53rd birthday. Each year during her birthday she would give the teachers and staff in the school a treat. It is no exception this year, as all of us received a box of Nasi Pulut Kuning (Glutinuous rice cooked with tumeric) with Curry Chicken and an apple.
Instead of us giving gifts to her, she has decided to give all of us something instead. I also try to do this during my birthday by giving alms to the poor and giving my friends and students a treat. Oh! Now I remember, I celebrated my birthday with a few of my boys at the orphanage in Sitiawan. To me the gesture of this lovely lady speaks volumes for her character - always giving and sharing with those around her. It is something that many of us should emulate.
Anyway, Puan Siti had a pleasant surprise when the students in her Civics class decided to give her a surprise birhtday celebration. She was so touched by the thoughtfulness of the boys and girls. That means the lesson on Civics with the principal must have had a big impact on them.

No comments: