Thursday 31 July 2008

WHAT A DIFFERENCE 7 YEARS MAKE!!!





Last weekend I did not go back to Ipoh as I had an official function to attend in Kuala Kangsar and only got back to Sitiawan in the evening. Since I had some free time I went to my friend's shop to rent some videos to watch over the weekend. The drama that was recommended to me by Eric was "Love Storm" starring Vic Zhou and Ken Chu of JVKV or formerly known as F4. The drama was released in 2003 which was about 5 years ago. I had first watched the two young men act in Meteor Garden earlier than that.
The first two pics were taken about 7 years ago and the last two in 2007. Note the physical changes in the boys over the years. All look much more matured. But what I want to blog about is that I am more impressed with them now than when I first watched Meteor Garden when it was first aired. At that time, I thought that they were just 4 pretty boys brought together to make money for the management company by getting the young girls swooning and hyperventilating over them. My opinion of them has changed as the members are all around the age of thirty. In fact, I am rather impressed. I thought Jerry Yan, who has always been my favourite, did a good job at acting in the drama "Hospital" and his humanitarian work with World Vision and the setting up of his own company also shows that he is more than just a pretty face. Vaness Wu has impressed with his dance skills and his 6 pack abs. I watched his dance video and he was good. Ken Chu who has gained a lot of weight and looks mature for his age has improved tremendously in both the acting and singing department. Vic Zhou's foray into more serious acting has also gained a lot of respect. These four high profile young men whose lives are documented by the media from the moment they became celebrities show that time and experience do nurture pretty boys who were thought to not possess much talent into entertainers who are a force to be reckoned with in their own fields. After all, acting heavyweights like Johnny Depp, the late Heath Ledger, Tony Leung, Andy Lau and Aaron Kwok were also once categorised as pretty boys when they first started out in show business. Maybe when the members of JVKV reach their forties and are no longer young, they too could be the ones we see getting nominated for acting awards. Who know? Life is unpredictable. We never know what will happen next.

No comments: