Thursday 4 June 2020

LUO HAN JAI




VEGETARIAN DISH: LUO HAN JAI

I first learnt to cook Luo Hon Jai 罗汉斋 (Cantonese) when I was 12 or 13 years old. Later with tips from my Aunt May, I was able to make it tastier. If I may say so, this is one of my signature dishes as I have 48 years of experience.

This is a popular vegetarian dish that you can order from many Chinese restaurants.

My version consists of bean curd preserve, fucuk, glass noodles, golden needles, wood ear fungus, cabbage, choy sum, carrot, chillies, button mushrooms, red dates and dried mushroom. Actually there should be 18 ingredients. I left out gingko, tofu puffs, water chestnut, baby corn, lotus root and fatt choy (black moss) as I was lazy to go out to buy them.
The eighteen ingredients in the Lo Han Jai represent the eighteen Arhats in Buddhism.


No comments: