Tuesday 7 January 2014

ROASTING SESAME SEEDS

I chalked up a mini achievement this holidays.  What did I do? I finally learnt how to roast sesame seeds.  If not for it being part of the ingredients in my salad, I wouldn't have bothered.
The packet of raw sesame seeds I bought from the sundry shop had a pale white to off-white colour.  When raw, the seeds do not have much flavour until roasted. The roasting causes the sesame seeds to release their natural oils giving them that fragrant smell and nutty taste.Here is how to go about it.

Ingredients: 1 pack white sesame seeds, washed and drained well

Method
  1. To toast sesame seeds. Heat frying-pan, then add sesame seeds and stir occasionally to make sure they don’t burn. When they being to brown lightly, transfer to a plate and leave to cool.
  2. Alternatively, to roast sesame seeds. Spread the sesame seeds on a baking sheet and roast them in an over for 10 minutes, until lightly browned.
  3. Store the sesame seeds in a glass jar in a cool place.
LINK

No comments: