Saturday 10 August 2013

COUNTERACTIVE MEASURE AGAINST CHOLESTEROL RICH FOOD


It is holiday time and naughty me have been indulging myself silly eating food that will raise my cholesterol level sky high.  So for a change, I have cooked salmon porridge as a counteractive measure.  Mind you, I have been eating this porridge for dinner last night plus breakfast and lunch this morning. I need to go for a blood test soon and so must be really careful with what I eat.
Fatty fish like salmon, tuna, mackerel, and sardines are good for me as they are a rich source of Omega 3 fatty acids and proteins. Scientific evidence shows that consuming fish rich in omega-3 fatty acids reduces triglyceride levels by as much as 25-30 percent, increases levels of high-density lipoproteins (HDL), and therefore reduces the risk of heart disease. The suggested intake is at least two servings per week.
Also I must make sure I eat a green apple a day.  Haven't been doing it for a few weeks already as I was preoccupied with other things.  However, I have been having lots of lemons which are also known to be great cholesterol busters.  
Then I read that eating a raw clove or two of garlic a day also works wonders.  It seems that garlic contains allicin which has shown to lower total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol and triglycerides. Several studies have shown that less than half a clove (900mg) of raw garlic a day can lower cholesterol by 9-12%. 
Adoi!  The things I must eat to get my cholesterol level in check.

No comments: