Thursday 13 December 2012

STARTING UP A HERB GARDEN

Here you see me taking to Ijul (he is the tallest one with black Tee-shirt) and two of the other boys at the Religious Centre about how to set up the Herb Garden.



They are going to build a fish pond here.

Here I am telling Ijul about the names of the herbs that I had brought for them.

My friend, Ustaz Syed wants to set up a Herb Garden at his Pondok (Religious Centre) in Lekir.  Actually one of his workers, Ijul, who happens to be my former student mooted the idea to him and said that he was willing to be in charge.  Since Ijul had helped me to mind the school Herb Garden during his student days, he had some experience.  Besides, he has an interest in plants and loves gardening.
When Ustaz Syed asked me for my help, I happily agreed as nothing makes me happier to see the birth of another Herb Garden.
I went to the Pondok in the evening to check out the place that they had in mind and agreed that it was most suitable.  Then I advised Ijul to use raffia strings to mark out the site for the Herb Garden.  After that he and the boys there should clear the place of all the rubbish, then they have to mow the grass and level out the ground.  After that they should start to fence up the place.  I gave them until the 30th of December to get that done before my next visit.  In the meantime, I will prepare a working paper for them and also a plan for the herb garden.  Before I went there, I had also gotten some seedlings and cuttings of herbs for them.
I am very excited about Ijul's Herb Garden project and will help him in any way I can.  As a matter of fact, I am happily looking forward to see it taking shape.  Be sure I will share pictures of the place with you once it is completed.

No comments: