Wednesday 31 October 2012

GARLANDS FOR THE DEITIES

It is quite common in Ipoh to see stalls set up by the roadside selling strings of jasmine flowers. These flower strings are a traditional Indian garland that can be used mostly as hair accessories and as offerings. The string of jasmine flowers are mostly tied in women’s hair for decoration. I know some people hang it in their cars too. Apart from the decorative uses, flower strings are also used as offerings in pujas (prayer).
This roadside stall is near the Ipoh Old Town Restaurant in Pasir Pinji, Ipoh.  Every time I travel along this road, I will see it.  Last weekend was the first time, I stopped make a purchase.  I wanted the flowers as offerings to the Goddess Kuan Yin as the following day was the 15th day of the 9th lunar month.
You can see strung and yet to be strung jasmine buds in this picture.
Those who are in the business of selling strings of jasmine flowers are also deft hands at stringing them together.
They also fashion mini garlands.  I bought one for RM4.
The mini garland that I bought adorning my lovely Goddess.

No comments: