Friday 17 August 2012

WEAVING KETUPAT SATE

 Like many other Malaysians, I am also feeling in the festive mood for Raya.  I am sure many Chinese, Indians and other non Muslims would be going to the open houses of their Muslim friends to celebrate Hari Raya Aidil Fitri with them.
Since I was in the Raya mood, I bought a bundle of coconut leaves from the market this morning for RM3.00 with the intention of having them woven into ketupat bawang to decorate the library.  My colleague, Hambali, is good at weaving ketupat and had volunteered a couple of weeks ago to help weave them.  Unfortunately, I was a bit late in buying the leave, when I went to the college with the leaves, I found out that he had taken an extra day of leave to go back to his hometown to celebrate with his family.  So I took the leaves back home and tried to weave the ketupat bawang by looking at videos on the Internet on how to do it.  Unfortunately, try as I might, I couldn't get the shape right.  So I had to be content with weaving the Ketupat Sate.  It was a skill that I learnt when I was teaching in Seri Kinjang many years ago.
 Here are some of the Ketupat Sate that I made.
 Me with my handiwork.
 I am pictured with more ketupat.  I managed to make about 20 casings.
 I gave some to my friend Carol to decorate her shop.

No comments: