Monday 5 December 2011

DEVELOPED PHOBIA ABOUT LEAVING MY CAR PARKED IN IPOH AFTER READING NEWS ARTICLE


My darling car was where it was where I left it on Sunday morning
On Saturday I read an article by a Star news reporter about finding his car missing after he went to the night market in Ipoh.  After reading that article, I sort of developed a phobia about just leaving my car parked in Ipoh while I go to the market or the shop.
Yesterday morning I began to worry after parking my car to go to the Kampung Simee market.  Though I had put the steering lock on, I still felt uneasy.  Needless to say, I made my purchases in the shortest of time and hurried to my car.  Thank goodness my Darling was still there.  Believe me, I am thinking of buying a gear lock to make it more difficult for would be burglars.
I am sharing Edmund Ngo's article about his unnerving experience with you below.

Saturday December 3, 2011
Unfortunate experience after a short trip to a night market
By EDMUND NGO
edmundngo@thestar.com.my
DURING my drive home after work one recent night, I decided to drop by for a quick dinner at the nearby night market in Bandar Baru Medan Ipoh, not knowing how unfortunate that decision would be for me.
Turning into the well-lit road and seeing an empty parking space in front of a row of shops, I did not hesitate to park my vehicle.
Having parked in the area on previous occasions and being familiar with the night market, I locked my humble but practical black Proton Iswara, before heading out to savour what delicacies the pasar malam had to offer.
Taking only 30 minutes to eat and stroll around the night market, I decided it was time to return home.
After buying a packet of prawn crackers, I headed to my parking spot.
Lo and behold, I could not see my car! Telling myself that some other larger vehicles had probably blocked it from my view, I tried to control my heart rate and walked closer.
Alas, when I arrived at the exact spot where I had left my car, I saw a white Toyota in its place!
Unless my vehicle had transformed into a more luxurious car, I am quite sure it did not start its own engine and run off, leaving me stranded.
Pacing up and down with increasing panic, the reality finally hit me hard. My car had been stolen!
What followed was a phone call to a friend who stayed nearby to give me a lift to the police station to lodge a report. The police were sympathetic enough and efficiently broadcast an alert to all units within range to keep a lookout for my vehicle.
I also posted a status on Facebook, hoping that my friends would spot my car on the road.
Then, my heart sank even further as I reported the loss of not only my car but also my camera bag, which contained my DSLR camera and Global Positioning System (GPS) device – both gadgets essential in my work as a journalist.
While I am still mourning the loss of my car, there are a few lessons I have learnt from this experience.
Firstly, one should never assume that a local second-hand car more than a decade old would never become a target of thieves.
Secondly, despite using a steering lock and securing the vehicle, it might be best to either leave all your precious belongings at home or have them by your side.
Thirdly, it would be foolish to think that a crime would not happen on a well-lit, busy street, where there are people and cars passing by. As long as there is a will, thieves will surely find a way.
Last, but not least, and of course, most importantly, be thankful that you are all right and unharmed in any way despite suffering such a big loss.
Week after week I hear stories from various colleagues and journalists of cars of the same model being stolen.
So, it is better to remain focused and conscious of the surroundings wherever you may choose park your vehicles. Police patrols are of course essential in curbing street crime and their increase are surely welcome, but a more important aspect is having a community that works hand-in-hand with the police.
With cooperation comes extra vigilance and extra effort in increasing the security of a neighbourhood and crime prevention.
Who knows, we may be able to save others, and ourselves for that matter, from suffering the same misfortune that I did.
Source: http://thestar.com.my/metro/story.asp?file=/2011/12/3/metroperak/10015560&sec=metroperak

No comments: