Friday 16 December 2011

COOKING WANTON MEE

Uncooked wanton mee
Wanton skin
The wanton skin filled with ingredients ready to be cooked
The ingredients on the wanton skin
Ingredients for the wanton: prawns, water chestnut, salt, sesame oil and soy sauce
It's been a while since I last cooked wanton mee.  When my father was alive, I'd cook this dish for him as it was one of his favourites.  Nowadays, I don't cook it at home as my mum doesn't want to eat it as she says it gives her gastric.
Actually it is rather simple to cook.  I just buy the special mee from the wet market.  I pay RM1.80 for 5 mee.  The wanton skin can also be bought.  What I need to do is to make the soup and then prepare the ingredients for the wanton.  I buy prawns, chop them up and add diced chestnuts for that extra zing.  Before I wrap them up in wanton skin, I will marinate the ingredients with sesame oil, pepper, soy sauce and a bit of salt.   I also add  the white of 1 egg.  After wrapping the wanton, I boil them in hot water and scoop them up when they pop up to the surface.  Then the wanton is added to the soup.  Very simple!

No comments: