Wednesday 7 December 2011

WINDMILL IN LUMUT




Kamariah and I are posing in front of a historic feature of Lumut, an eight-metre tall windmill.  Ever since the two of us could remember the windmill had been there. It was one of the landmarks when I first visited the place in 1995 when I was first posted to the vocational school.   According to Kamariah, the windmill was there when she was studying at ITM Manjung way back in 1991.  My late Aunt May told me that the windmill was there when she visited Lumut as a teenager.  Now that is a long, long time.
Actually this windmill has been around for a few hundred years already. So why is there a windmill in Lumut.  It seems that way back in 1641, soon after the Dutch had conquered Malacca from the Portuguese, they made unsuccessful attempts to control Peraks tin trade by establishing a fort in Pangkor Island. I guess the windmill is the only thing of significance to show the presence of the Dutch.  Wow, 1641 until 2011.  Now, that is a loooong time.

No comments: