Thursday 13 October 2011

MANGOES FOR THE PICKING

Yesterday afternoon, I went to the area near the chief warden's quarters to look for leaves from the Neem tree.  One of my colleagues daughter has the chicken pox and she wanted to use the leaves as treatment.  In traditional medicine, patients suffering from chicken pox are advised to sleep on Neem leaves to lessen the itchiness.  As she was not sure which was the Neem tree, she asked for my help to get the leaves.
Besidess the Neem leaves, I also spied a lot of mangoes which had fallen from a tree in the area.  I picked a few ripe ones and decided to come back for more later in the evening.  Of course, I'd be bringing my librarians to help.  It is in my nature not to waste perfectly edible food.  If the mangoes were left there, they would begin to rot.  
Here are the ripe mangoes that I managed to pick.
My librarian, Surendran looking a a big branch which had broken off from the mango tree.
Picking the mangoes.
Here is a basin of mangoes that were collected by my boys and me.  This was half of what we had brought back.  I decided to give the mangoes to the boys who were in the library at that time. In this way, the fruits would not be wasted.



No comments: