Monday 5 September 2011

TALES OF THE 24 EXEMPLARS: WU MANG


Filial Piety of Wu Mang (A.D. 265)

At the tender age of eight, Wu Mang showed great respect to his parents. As his family was poor they had no money to make a curtain to keep the mosquitoes at bay.   What Wu Mang did was to lie naked and let all the mosquitoes bite him instead. Hence, no mosquitoes bit his parents. He said to himself: "All my blood comes from my parents; if this cannot be given to the mosquitoes, how can I do something to honour my parents when I grow up?"
Such profound thoughts from a young boy.
Source: http://www.yogichen.org/cw/cw43/bk144.html

COMMENT
I wonder what type of parents would let their eight year old child be bitten by mosquitoes so that they would not be bitten.  This is bad parenting.

No comments: