Tuesday 29 March 2011

APPEASING THE WHITE TIGER DEITY


At the beginning of the year, I went to the temple and offered prayers to Tai Sui.  When I was there, the lady at the counter told me that my age group also had to appease the White Tiger Deity.  I also needed to Da Siew Yan (a ritual to symbolically beat up the troublemakers). 
Considering that I having such unpleasantness lately, I went to the temple last Saturday to carry out the rituals.  The lady at the temple said that luckily for me Saturday was a suitable date plus it was even better to carry out these two tasks after visiting the graves of ones ancestors.  I actually did not know that but just went there at the spur of the moment.
All I needed to do was just be at the temple temple to pray to the Tiger deity.  The people there supplied the prayer paraphernalia and guided me through the entire process.  What was needed was a set of joss paper, incense, candles and food. The fferings including lard, duck eggs, sesame seeds and green beans were also offered to get rid of troublemakers and gossips.. The temple helpers will place a small piece of lard into the Tiger deity mouth as a symbolic ritual of appeasing the Tiger deity so as not to stir up any trouble which includes bloodshed caused by accidents, major surgery, and calamities.

The Taoists believe that the White Tiger Deity "Hu Ye" is a very powerful deity, it gives protection to worshippers and also help them get rid of bad people or troublemakers, which may even be friends, colleagues or subordinates. These "Siew Yan" (troublemakers) may slander, backstab, and give us a hard time.
I am sure to carry out the ritual of "Da Siew Yan" (Beating up the Troublemakers) every year.  Appeasing the Tiger God and Da Siew Yan go hand in hand. One is given a paper effigy  representing the "Siew Yan" (Troublemaker or Small Person) which one then hits with a shoe or clog in front of the White Tiger Deity "Hu Ye". The temple attendant will Chant the following while hitting the paper effigy:

Hit your head dead,
Hit till your mouth is crooked,
Strike all your limbs till they hurt,
If you come from the East, you go running to the West,
Beat you till you run off without your shoes on.

One gives an ang pow to the temple attendant for helping to conduct the ritual.  After this ritual is completed the entire offering set is burned and a small paper effigy of a Helpful Mentor or Noble Man (Kwai Yan), a paper horse and 2 palms or hands are then stuck on the wall in the temple, the higher the better. This symbolises that one will get help from the Helpful Mentor or Noble Man which will now elevate one to a higher position after getting rid of the Siew Yan.
You might be thinking why in this day and age that I am going through such rituals, right?  Well, I have been doing it for ages and as a Taoist, I believe that it does work.  I believe in the power of the Tiger Deity to keep me from harms way and to give me protection.

No comments: