Thursday 13 January 2011

WEALTHY WIDOW




The pretty flowering plant above is known as Janda Kaya (Mussaenda phillioica Queen Sirikit) in the Malay language.  When translated into English, it means Wealthy Widow.

Some time ago, when I was buying plants from the Farmer's market, I learnt from one elderly Malay man that the plant is commonly found in his kampung.  He had an interesting tale to tell about it. He said that unmarried or single ladies would grow the Janda Baik plant in their gardens as it is believed to attract marriage luck for them. Also when the flowers in the plant begin to bloom, the lady who can get a fragrant smell coming from it would expect to be getting married soon. He told me to smell the flower but I couldn't get any smell. Sigh!!!

I actually bought the plant and had it growing in a pot in my old house.  However, I brought it back to school when I shifted house.  Now as you can see, the plant has begun to flower.  The flowers are pretty, aren't they?

No comments: