Friday 22 October 2010

DECEPTION


The flyer advertising the sale of furniture was sent to my house last week and I was interested in the day bed which was being offered for RM197.  I wanted to buy it to put in my guest room as it would also double up as a divan when not used as a bed.
Happily I invited Kamariah to go with me to that particular furniture shop in Sitiawan yesterday evening.  When we reached there I showed the salesman the item I wanted and he quickly ushered me to the part of the shop where it was on display.  Kamariah had earlier told me that such offer items would have already been sold out as only a few units would be on sale.  However, the salesman assured me that there was still stock.  Gleefully, I tried the bed to see if it was long enough for me.  It was then that the salesman dropped the bombshell.  He informed the two of us that the one that was offer used a different material  than the one pictured in the flyer and also the display model.  As it was, the display model differed from the one in the flyer.  The man showed us the material called Ori Beau Fabric which was used for the offer set.  It was thin and also the quality was very poor.  Besides, it was a pale cream colour.  According to the salesman, if I wanted to purchase the model similar to the display set then the price was RM500. 
I then told him that that was a form of dishonesty.  One should always show what was the actual thing being sold instead of using a better quality one to hoodwink others.  He then said that it was stated in the flyer that Ori Beau Fabric was used.  Huh!  I told him that how many of us know what is Ori Beau Fabric.  Then he again said that it was not mail order they were running and customers get to see the furniture before they decided to buy.  Hmm ... I still think that that is very dishonest.  It was because of that deception that Kamariah and I had to go all the way to the shop to look at the item.  It wasted our time. 

No comments: