Tuesday 26 October 2010

THE COLOURS OF RANGOLI


I saw a few of the staff at Econsave in Sitiawan busy making a colourful Rangoli for Deepavali.  This reminds me of the Rangolis I made with Sharveen when he was a student in the school I am teaching in. Sharveen told me that the Rangoli brings good luck to the household or the premise.

The first year, he dyed rice of different colours to make the Rangoli for the library. In the picture below, you see the Rangoli done by Sharveen and me.


Unfortunately, the children of one of the teachers in my school who came with their mum destroyed it. In a few minutes the children messed up what took as whole day to complete.  You can see the pictures of what happened to the Rangoli below.



Sharveen and I were devastated. The Rangoli took the two of us plus other students and staff a whole day to make. However, I came up with the idea of using flowers, leaves and seeds to create another. With the help from my assistant and librarians, we came up with the one below.



The following year, we made a 1Malaysia Rangoli using a few types of grains.  Hmm ... shall I come up with a Rangoli for Deepavali this year?  I will ponder about it and see if I have the time.




FACTS ABOUT THE RANGOLI

Rangoli is a Sanskrit word which means a creative expression of art through the use of color.

The word rangoli may also have come from "rang" (color) + "aavalli" (row), which means row of colors, or from rang+avalli, which means creepers of colors.

Rangoli is the art of drawing images and motifs on the floor and walls of one's home using different colour powders.

Basically a floor painting, a rangoli image stands for a sign of welcome.

A variety of ingredients are used to create a Rangoli. In old days, the colours were traditionally derived from natural dyes - from barks of trees, leaves, indigo, etc. Today however, synthetic dyes are used in a range of bright hue.

In south Indian states like Kerala, flowers like marigolds and chrysanthemums and leaves are used to create Rangoli.

Source: http://www.theholidayspot.com/diwali/rangoli.htm

No comments: