Thursday 5 June 2014

HARVEST TIME IN SEKINCHAN

 Yesterday afternoon I visited a paddy field in Sekinchan.  This small town in the state of Selangor is the hometown of my friend, the late Charlie Wong.  What is Sekinchan famous for?  Why paddy fields, of course. It is located in one of the major rice producing areas of Malaysia.  There is a rice processing factory here which has a paddy museum which is open to visitors.
In Chinese, Sekinchan means "village suitable for planting', the land and weather is suitable for farming of paddy, fruits and palm tree. It is the highest rice production per acre in Malaysia. Total farming land paddy and fruits is about 4,300 acres.
When I arrived in Sekinchan I saw wide green paddy fields. What was even more worthwhile for me was that it was harvest time.  If you look at the picture above, you can see part of the field already harvested.
Lucky me also got to see workers using a tractor to roll paddy stalks into bales to be sold as cattle feed.


 The wide green paddy field at Sekinchan

  Paddy stalks (Jerami) rolled into bales and packed on to a lorry










No comments: