Friday 25 September 2009

SOUP FOR THE EYES

Gojiberry or kei ji
Boiling the gojiberry with beans

Many Chinese housewives like to add the goji berry, wolfberry or kei ji into soups as they say that this particular herb does wonders for eye health. Similarly, there is this type of beans which is sold in the wet market which is also supposed to be good for our eyes. I don't know what it is called in English but I recognise it the moment I see it. Furthermore, it is really easy to grow. I think I will grow some in the school Herb Garden soon.
If you are thinking of making the soup, here is my recipe. Don't be surprised, I do it the old fashioned obasan way as far as measurements are concerned.
INGREDIENTS
A handful of goji berry
RM 1 of beans from the market (about 20 - 25 beans)
Half a litre pot of water (this serves 4 persons)
Mini dried scallops (about 10)
Anchovy or chicken stock cubes (you can substitute with dried ikan bilis or chicken meat)
Dried longan
Fried shallots (one teaspoons)
Salt to taste
METHOD
1. Put water to boil
2. Add stock and dried scallops
3. Add gojiberry and beans
4. When soup starts to boil, add salt (depends on how salty you want it to be)
5. Finally add dried longan and boil for another 10 minutes or so.
6. Add the fried shallots and the soup is ready to be served.
Do give the recipe a try as it really is said to be good for the eyes. I need to drink a lot of it as I overstrain mine from looking at the computer screen for a long time.

No comments: